Diamonds and precious metals are strong and durable but may lose their brilliance over time through everyday wear. Makeup, lotions, soaps, hair products, natural skin oils, household chemicals and chlorine may cause build up in the setting and dull or damage your jewellery.
We recommend that you store all your jewellery individually when you are not wearing it to prevent scratching or dulling other jewellery pieces. Regular cleaning is required to restore the brilliance and lustre of your jewellery. We recommend cleaning your jewellery regularly at home and have them professionally cleaned and inspected by a jeweller every six months.
The best way to take care of your jewellery is to let Daniella take care of it for you. Our valued clients receive lifetime complimentary cleaning (ultrasonic and steam) for jewellery purchased from us. An ultrasonic cleaner is a metal bath filled with water, ammonia and detergent which, when switched on create a high-frequency turbulence that removes the dirt and polishing compounds from hard to get at places in your setting.
Additionally, we recommend that you bring your Daniella jewellery into our store every six months for an inspection to have the security of the setting checked and ensured your jewellery continues looking beautiful!
As it is not always convenient to visit our store, one of the safest methods to clean jewellery at home is to clean it with a soft toothbrush, after soaking the jewellery in warm soapy water. A mild solution of 5% household grade ammonia, 5% dishwashing detergent and 90% boiled water will also do. Care must be taken to not scratch the jewellery when cleaning.
Follow these 3 easy steps:
1. Soak your jewellery in a solution of lukewarm water and mild washing liquid for 30 minutes
2. Gently scrub your jewellery particularly under the setting with a soft toothbrush, dipping your toothbrush in the solution now and then
3. Rinse thoroughly in warm water and dry using a soft cloth. Avoid using tissues or paper towels to wipe your jewellery as they may cause scratches
Ensure your jewellery is fully dry before storing.
Note that this process should not be used for emeralds, pearls, opals or any other soft or porous stone.
Commercial Silver/Gold Cleaners: Read the label, and if in doubt, do not use a chemical cleaner. Some gemstones that cannot be placed in commercial cleaners are pearls, lapis lazuli, malachite, opals, coral and turquoise.
Storage of your jewellery: Storage of your platinum, gold and silver jewellery is important. At the time of purchase, all Daniella jewellery is presented in a protective box, case or tarnish-resistant pouch. When not wearing your jewellery, we recommend that you place the piece back in its original case or another suitably lined box or pouch. While silver jewellery may be stored in a resealable plastic bag to protect it against tarnishing, pearls and opals, however, should be stored in fabric instead of plastic because they need to breathe.
Following the above 3, step cleaning process is all that is required to maintain the lustre of platinum jewellery. We recommend storing platinum jewellery in a jewellery box without touching other pieces of jewellery when not being worn.
Restore brilliance in your gold jewellery by following the 3 step process above. Take care not to press hard when wiping and polishing plated jewellery to avoid damaging the surface. Instead of wiping your jewellery to dry, you can leave gold jewellery to air dry on a soft cloth. We recommend storing gold jewellery in its original case or a jewellery box without touching other pieces of jewellery.
Sterling silver is an alloy of silver containing 92.5% pure silver and 7.5% other metals, usually copper. Silver tarnishes when exposed to air and chemicals such as perfumes, colognes, lotions, skin oils and hair products. To help minimise tarnishing of silver jewellery, we recommend wiping your jewellery clean with a soft cloth after it is worn to remove residue. Store the jewellery in an airtight container, jewellery box or resealable plastic bag, away from sunlight.
Please be aware that many display units and boxes may contain sulphur, which interacts with and tarnishes sterling silver. The lesser air and light your silver is exposed to when you aren't wearing it, the lesser it will be tarnished, making it easy to have shiny jewellery each and every time you're ready to wear it.
• Protect all your jewellery from scratches, sharp blows, chemicals, extreme temperatures, and sunlight
• After each wearing, gently wipe each piece of jewellery clean of makeup and skin oils with a 100% cotton cloth
• Apply make-up, hair products, lotions, creams and perfume before putting on jewellery as the chemicals may cause your jewellery to dull
• Remove jewellery when performing household chores such as washing dishes, gardening and cleaning to prevent scratching or being exposed to harsh chemicals
• Remove jewellery before showering as soaps will cause build up in the jewellery
• Do not wear jewellery in swimming pools, hot tubs or bathing as chlorine may damage and discolour gemstones and precious metals
• Store individual jewellery pieces separately to prevent scratching other jewellery
• Store jewellery away from sunlight as the sun may cause some gemstones to fade
• Do not store jewellery next to heating vents, window sills, or in the car
• Always store bead necklaces strung on silk flat because silk stretches over time